Tuesday, June 22, 2010

I'm finally blogging - it hasn't been easy!


Well, I guess I'm finally blogging, although I am not at all certain what I'm doing or even what I'm gonna blog about. I'm just hoping one thing will lead to another and whala, an ok blog.

It hasn't been so easy for me, this blog-thing. I've actually attempted it a half-dozen times in the past, only to give up in total frustration. I've actually deleted and started over 3 times already today.

Just naming my blog has been a task. I probably typed in 5-6 names (which weren't easy to come up with in the first place, since the name should probably say something about the blog) only to find that someone already had that name. I had begun to believe that no matter what name I typed in, it wouldn't be available. I actually became a little nonchalant with the naming, and unfortunately, the typing; but lo and behold, when I typed in "Sugar...and other spices of life" I not only found the name available, but that I was now the proud owner! Wow! Yippee! Imagine that! Not really the name I initially went for, but, hey, victory was finally mine! Then I realized I had a typo in the URL address - suganandotherspicesoflife.blogspot.com ???

Sugan? What is sugan? Well, just go in under settings and correct it, I said. Well, it wasn't anywhere I could find. Seems I could correct just about anything and everything except the URL address. (I know, it probably is there somewhere, but I couldn't find it.) So I figured maybe I could somehow use "Sugan...and other spices of life" as my blog name and maybe have readers say to themselves "Wow! How smart is that!" (not meant as a question)

So a quick reference revealed: "Sugan" (sug an or soog an) - 1. a thick blanket or quilt used especially by ranch workers when sleeping outdoors; 2. a rope made of straw; 3. a chair with a seat made from straw rope.

Nope! Interesting, and while I do have a couple of very creative friends who could probably work wonders with that, it was not something I could identify with. So, another delete. Of course by now, Google wouldn't let me in back in until I confirmed my identity by cell phone. This was just about the last straw. Thankfully, stubbornness prevailed, and I trudged on. Much to my delight "Sugar...and other spices of life" was still available - thus the name of my blog.

Why that name? Well, no, I'm not a great cook, not by any standards, and while I won't say you'll never find a recipe on my site, it's not likely. The name fits though, since life and everything that goes into making it what it is can be likened to a recipe. So I figure with this name I can talk about anything and everything ~ God, family, friends, love, hate, happiness, sorrow ~ all the things that add the sugar and spice to my life...the flavor.

Now we've only to see if I can string the right words together.

1 comment:

  1. You're a great writer, Judy. That's definitely one of your talents, that and being a good friend. That's a talent, don't you think? Keep writing and I'll keep reading. I'm so glad you're doing this. It's a way for me to keep up with you.

    ReplyDelete