Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Just call me Prissy

I have a hard time drinking wine from a paper cup, or even one of those clear plastic wine glasses.  I prefer real glass. Crystal is even better.  Even when we camp out those two Friday nights a year, I pack a wine glass.  Don’t ask me why, it’s puzzling to me as well.  A couple of my friends say I’m just prissy when it comes to wine-drinking.  That only makes me chuckle. That, from beer drinkers.

My pottery-loving friends drink wine from a pottery goblet. I do too, when I’m at their place. Pottery is nice; But still, compared to crystal?
I was hard to convince until recently...
My friend Helen has taken pottery now for a couple of years.  I spent a day at Seagrove with her last year and came back with a new appreciation for pottery. We visited seven or eight potters. I not only saw some extraordinary pieces but actually got to watch a potter at work at his spinning wheel.  It was truly amazing.  
 Seagrove, North Carolina


No, I didn't come back with my own set of wine goblets, but it did change the way I see pottery.  I've actually come to enjoy a "goblet" of wine with friends. And when I chance to recognize the potter's name engraved on the bottom of the goblet - well, drinking wine from it them becomes much like a religious experience.
Where am I going with this?  Well, thanks to Helen, I now have my own pottery goblet. I've not given up glass/crystal by any stretch, but drinking wine from a pottery goblet is becoming as routine for me as drinking wine from a crystal one. And since I know this particular potter personally, there's even more religion in this house.
My friend Helen - the Potter
My wonderful new wine goblet! Thanks Helen!
Yes, I've had a change of opinion here.  But wine in paper or plastic cups? Never!
Just call me Prissy!

2 comments:

  1. It's even more special that you're drinking from something a friend of yours made for you. You will think of her every time you use your goblet. Now THAT is an awesome piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, I knew you would appreciate the goblet. Isn't it lovely? Helen did a wonderful job. I tried to talk her into doing a set for me, but she laughed! It's not easy work!

    ReplyDelete